10 Things Every New Network Marketer Should Do
Regardless of your company, your product, your location or your ability as a salesperson, there are a few things that every network marketer should be doing. Since some marketers are beyond help – because they still believe the old school methods are the best and only way to go, I’m addressing this to newbies in direct sales/mlm/network marketing, because you’re the most likely to take advantage of it, and make it soar.
In no particular order they are:
1. Know your contract – simply knowing what you can and can’t do as a distributor can make you infinitely more successful.
2. Get your own personal website I strongly encourage a “.com” domain like lisamrobbin.com
3. Get your own blog – not sure what to write about? Check out Seth Godin’s blog traffic article. It will completely confound you and educate you at the same time.
4. Keep a separate business bank account. Don’t co-mingle funds. It makes for easier bookkeeping, and it makes it easier to give yourself a paycheck consistently.
5. Promote yourself first. You are the most important product your company has to offer. Everything I write about hinges on that fact. People want to know about you, THEN everything else. If they don’t know, like or trust you, the party’s over before it started.
6. Get product knowledge. Know your top ten products in detail. Know how they work for the end user. Understand each product from your client’s point of view. The more you know, the better you’ll be able to help your clients make an affirmative buying decision.
7. Get sales and marketing knowledge. Learn the techniques and words to say that will increase your business, close more sales, and make you more successful.
8. Get personal knowledge. Learn the techniques, skills and abilities to overcome your obstacles. Know what makes you tick and keep improving it on a daily basis.
9. Open your mouth. This is not about the 3 foot rule. This is about letting people know about what you’re all about. You should have a 30-second commercial or “elevator speech” ready at a moments notice. But more importantly, you should be sharing how much you enjoy what you do with others. Don’t keep it a secret. Don’t hide it under a bushel. Of course, if network marketing is a drudge and you hate it, quit now while you’re only out the cost of your starter kit.
10. Be remarkable. In life, love, work, or play. With family, friends, customers, leaders, strangers and everywhere you go, find a way to be true to yourself in a way that makes others take notice. An unremarkable marketer is around every corner. There are thousands of them in every mlm company. What are you doing to be memorable, remarkable and unique? You don’t have to wear a “bozo” wig and a clown nose. But you do need to find a way to connect to people that is genuine, honest, and memorable – in a good way.
© 2008 Lisa Robbin Young
USE THIS ARTICLE FOR FREE IN PRINT OR ONLINE!
Simply include this paragraph with active links as appropriate:
Lisa Robbin Young offers direct selling training and coaching to direct sales professionals looking to grow their business like a real business instead of an expensive hobby. Sign up for her free weekly ezine at https://www.homepartysolution.com.
This list could have been 7 or 15 items long, but top tens seem to be the “in” think right now. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the matter. What would you add? Subtract? Post a comment!